Thursday 23 February 2012

4)+5) Who would be the audience for your media product and how did you attract/address your audience?

4) Who would be the audience of your media product?
The audience for my media product are 40-55 year old, Class B , Radicals who do not like to follow the mainstream crowd of mainstream music as Jazz is not very popular amongst those types of people.

Also I am targeting radicals who do not want to follow the crowd, but to go their own way and listen to the music which suits them, even if it is not too everyone taste. Overall people who like the genre of music which I have based my magazine on.

 I also have a secondary audience of young adults below this age category for people who are really passionate about this genre of music.

The magazine is aimed at both genders and this is because although the majority of the artists I researched were male, the Jazz genre is not gender specific and is liked and loved by both genders so therefore the magazine I created is suitable for both male and females. My magazine should also interest those who play musical instruments and as it is not mainstream should attract those who are strongly passionate.

The people I am targeting Shop at Marks and Spencer, Julian Graves, Waitrose because the quality of products are much better and they think they deserve the higher-standard. They buy their shoes at Elts because they are pure leather and will last longer as they know how to dress properly.Secondary audience shop at H&M because they do not like to follow the crowd and can be individuals here. He or She play musical instruments such as guitars and Saxophones because they are widely interested in the genre.They attend smaller concerts and festivals because it is what they like and are small because they are not known about or mainstream as they are not advertised as greatly as festivals such as Download or Glastonbury.They go to the theatre often to hear new artists or to watch small shows. Listen too artists such as Roy harper, Diana Krall and Chet Baker because they produce the music which they are interested in. They are the type of people who do not care if they forget their mobile phone, or do not have much interest with the computer. Are an older generation as they may have grown up to like this genre of music and is very peaceful and relaxing which is what they may want or need. Have a busy lifestyle, and to listen when they get home to calm themselves down. People who do not feel intimidated by younger, more mainstream people.

5) How did you attract/address your audience?


I think that I was successful in attracting my target audience. I showed my finished front cover, Contents and double page spread to 3 Jazz music loving inspirer's of my target audience, two of which are from my focus group and the response was generally really positive. Through the stereotypical use of the saxophone all 3 were able to identify the genre of the magazine, being Jazz and could not recall seeing any similar magazine like this in the shops in which they go too.

To attract my audience I used saturated images which connoted a traditional, old-style magazine which fitted to the genre of the music that has dated back to the early 1900s, therefore only the audience who are interested in this field would notice the magazine and pick it up whereas others would just walk past it. The dominant male images may suggest that the Magazine is aimed at males. This is wrong as the photographs do not show direct contact with the camera and the models therefore look less intimidating and therefore appeal to both genders. Also Jazz is not a biased genre so it should be about the music and not the people who create it. The whole magazine is about one specific genre of music which is straight to the point and gives detailed articles to the reader. My double page spread is about a 14 year old who has used emergent ideology to create music by using a instrument which is not stereotypically known for this from of music. This is suited for my audience because it explains that you do not have to be of the age of the target audience to create music for them as it is the music which they want to listen too and are interested in and not the age of the musician.

The preferred reading of my magazine is that it takes a deeper look into the meaning and the people associated with the Genre of music I based my product on and the fact it is all about the contents and not the design of how the content is presented. The colours used connote a higher-class audience who would more than likely pick up this magazine in one of the chosen shops rather than a wacky mainstream magazine such as KERRANG which use bold and striking colours to attract the hard metal/rock fans.

Below is a video of a voice recording of Mark from my target audience. I asked him various questions about my magazine and this is what he said:

 Below is an image of feedback off facebook from Alex Foden who was also part of my focus group who is the secondary audience to my magazine:
Below is an image of  an email from someone who is below both my definite target audience and also my secondary audience. As someone who is not into this type of music, the feedback response was very different










The feedback I received was really positive. All of the people who I asked for feedback off were able to recognize the fact that it is for both genders (although I only asked males they were still able to identify this). To ensure that this was the case, the photographs that I took ensured that direct contact with the camera did not exist. The fact that the boost image and the two images on the double page spread are all looking away from the camera and looking down/straight forward makes them less intimidating and dominating and therefore appeals to both gender audiences. They all stated that my magazine did look real with the choice of images I used which I purposely edited to gain the effect of a upper-market feel and look- the realism of the magazine is really empathised when Alex compares it too Grazia, and although this is aimed at a different genders and also is based on a different subject, the type of people they are aimed at are really similar and being compared to an existing magazine is amazing and it puts out that I have been able to target an upper-class sophisticated audience just as I would of liked too.

I tried to use a varied range of article and cover-stories with events and other Jazz -related aspects in the contents page. The content is used was totally relevant to my target audience and all the Articles are about about musicians with some pages about Jazz related festivals and how to learn a desired instrument which works well. The feedback I received for this from Tom (The younger age range than secondary audience) is very blunt as he states that the content appeals to both genders, whereas as a music lover, Alex explains that the content is appropriate because the fact I had written quite a lot reflects on my audience and that they would have the motivation to sit and read all of it which they may enjoy. The distinct difference of opinions shows the sort of audience I have attracted too and the out of target audience people who I have asked have looked at it because it has been put in front of them. I chose to write more information on the contents page and double page spread for this reason. As my target audience is older generated people, I respect that they are more likely to read more than those in the teens or early twentys. They seem to have more time to do things and I thought that reading would be one of their interests and if they are interested in the genre of music then they would be more likely to sit and read the article I have written.

The mode of address seemed to be good with the response from my target audience. I tried to use a more formal language in the text to connote a higher-class audience as I stereotypically thought that they would be more educated to speak more formally. I also used saturated images to address the audience as a traditional, old style magazine which will appeal to the older generation as this reflects off the age of the genre itself dating back to the 1900s.

The feedback for the font also seemed very positive with Tom saying 'Yes' to that it is appropriate and Alex and Mark saying that it looks traditional but bold and clear. I used a serif, old-style font to connote and heighten the age of the genre which reflects off the age of the target audience. Im not saying their 100 years old , or as old as the genre but showing that the font will more appeal to an older generation than those of a younger age. From the font my audience were able to recognise straight away that the magazine is aimed at an older more upper-class audience.

From feedback it also seemed apparent that my audience also thought that the colours in which I used were used appropriately. from the comments of the boost image and it looking 'Sepia' connotes the sophistication of my audience. From my research I made sure that the colours really suited the audience and which colours would be best to use. In this case, as I was targeting an older audience of 40-55 year olds, it seemed that saturated images were the best to connote this audience type as it appealed to them more than brightened pictures did. I made sure that throughout the double page spread and the contents page that the text and background apart from the images remained black and white. This allowed the pages to be read more easily and connoted an audience type who is only interested in the content of the magazine and not the way it looks. An audience who wants all the information put straight in front of them and so they do not have to search for it as it just is not in their nature.

The comments I received on the layout show opinions such as 'The layout makes it seem easy to understand' shows how I have created a simplistic layout with all the information it needs for a mature audience who would rather read the information on its own than crowded with a lot of photos and other text. One comment suggested I added one more photo to the cover to illustrate some of the cover-stories. I only had the boost image on the cover as through research I found that only having a few cover-stories to the side was a good idea to connote a sophisticated and upper-class audience who prefer the content to the design of the cover whereas if I used a variety of reversed-out cover lines and splash then I was afraid that it would connote my magazine cover more as mainstream.

Overall, from the feedback I was given I think that my magazine was successful. I think that the simple  colour scheme and layout really connoted the sophisticated, mature and upper-class audience I was hoping to target. The use of colours also connotes a traditionalist audience and heightens that of the genre and how far it dates back to, which is implied by the style of font I used too.





No comments:

Post a Comment